Saturday, January 21, 2006

Literary Meditation

I take meditation very seriously. I can't properly start my day without meditating. What makes this experience imortant to me is having the time to feel truly calm and have a mind clear of obscuring thoughts.

Lately, my mind has been filled with plot points and character sketches. It's been seeping into my meditation sessions. It's become a double edge sword. I love having creative thoughts, but I know that it defeats meditating, a practice that asks me to have an "empty" mind.

Anyone out there in cyber world have any suggestions?

4 comments:

mr jp said...

cute picture!

Sorry , can't help with the meditation part. My head's always occupied with one thing or another.

Bob Hoeppner said...

I like the idea of "meditation in motion", which I guess is usually associated with martial arts. I'm not sure that meditation and creativity are mutually exclusive. I certainly feel I'm "in the zone" at times when a poem is coming to me.

Cheryl said...

You should talk to Terry Wolverton--she's working on a project that specifically merges meditation and creative practice, so she might be able to help you make those creative thoughts more meditative, or those meditative non-thoughts more creative.

Monsta said...

baby meditation... i like!